About the Three Horseshoes Inn
The Three Horseshoes Inn is mentioned in a local history book as being a tavern in 1841 run by a blacksmith called John Turnbill, his family continued to keep the inn until 1910, combining Innkeeping with a Blacksmith shop where the end of the restaurant is now. One of our regulars, Edward Legge – one of 17 children from a local farming family who still farm at our neighbouring Shortwood farm – remembers helping hs father bring horses to the Inn to be shod, Edward’s job was to hold the horse’s head while his father retired to the Bar for a quart of Ale!
We assume that the name The Three Horseshoes came from the fact that horses came here with only three shoes.
About the Owners
Norman and Janet Whittall are locals, both having attended school in Bromyard. Janet attended Hereford Catering College. Having served a apprenticeship as tenants of nearby pub they brought the Three Horseshoes Inn 20 years ago and did a complete rebuild and refurbishment. Of the prospective buyers we were the only ones interested in keeping the pub going. We have been lucky to have the services of loyal staff.
We have enjoyed the challenge of running the business, making our pub into our home with children Katherine & Philip. Katherine lives in Cardiff. Janet and Norman have created a feature garden with herbs, perennial plants, arbours and water features, to delight our customers, many of whom we escort around the garden giving cuttings to and exchanging plants.
Norman is an avid sportsman playing cricket for Bromyard for 40 years (man & boy) we both play golf and talk a good game!
© 2013 Three Horseshoes | Site designed and built by Max G